Monday 15 March 2010

Red rash

The long-awaited weekend at Red mountain arrives (the day after Red mountain receives over a foot of fresh snow) and with its luxury ski in/ski out apartment, equipped with private hot tub, it promises a lot. Helped by the clear blue skies, warm weather and empty slopes Red doesn't fail to deliver. Red mountain is much smaller than Fernie and boasts only two mountains, but what it lacks in quantity of terrain it makes up for in off-piste tree runs, no lift lines and (for today) untouched powder. But riding powder is exhausting...

Where the snow gets chopped up by skiers and boarders, flexed legs are critical to absorb all the undulations and pretty soon my quads are burning. But this pain seems insignificant compared to when I fall in powder: Putting an arm down to help myself up just leaves me with a buried arm; unstrapping to stand up leads to buried legs; and trying to roll out just leads to a buried Ian. I learn a valuable lesson, don't fall in powder!

After an exhausting day's riding I retire to a relaxing soak in the hot tub. Safety guidelines recommend a maximum stay of 15 minutes in the hot tub; a glass of champagne and several beers later I decide to get out after realising 4 hours have elapsed. That'll test those hot tub regulations. Now, I wonder if they'll know anything about this rash...

Although I would struggle to enjoy a full season at Red, mainly due to its limited number of runs, it would provide a great holiday destination, particularly if it receives the snowfall that I experienced. This trip to Red has also alleviated the cabin fever I was beginning to feel in Fernie. Maybe I can get another trip to a BC resort before the end of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.