Sunday 14 February 2010

Boarding vs. Bananagrams

A week before the exam and our focus turns to mock teaching scenarios and honing our riding skills to conform to the CASI (Canadian Association of Snowboard Instructors) mould. Whilst the skiers sit a theory-based written exam and are analysed for four days, the snowboarders have no written element and only have three days of analysis. Just more reasons not to be a skier!

My mock teaching scenario involves a class of 14 year olds, learning beginner turns, and despite an adequate demonstrate of the turns I receive criticism for my choice of language. The trainer feels my request for one student to "elaborate" on their question inappropriate language to a 14 year old. I'm not sure I know any other way to present myself, unless I'm talking Lego, Go-Gos (small plastic figurines) or Ben 10 with Ollie, my 6 year old nephew. How do you engage the attention of 14 year olds? Fingers crossed I get a group of accountants, in their 30s.

When not on the hill, free time at the house is now occupied with games of Bananagrams, an obsession that seems to have gripped the residents of my lodge. With so many people in the house a game is almost always guaranteed. Hmm...think I'll see if anyone fancies a game...

2 comments:

  1. Ian,

    I’m a bit concerned about these 14 year olds!

    However, bananagram does seem a more of an (banana) adult pastime.

    I look forward to hearing more

    GUT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little known fact: "Bananagrams" is supposed to be pronounced "BAN_anagrams", referring to a rival game, whose scoring system was deemed unduly complicated in trying to account for different letter permutations within a single word. The shape and colouring of the game pouch and the gram-weighted tiles are misdirection pure and simple.

    I suggest that you emphasize the correct pronunciation at every opportunity. "Who's up for a game of BAN_anagrams?" should be announced with a straight face from now on.

    ps sounds like your teaching style was a little autocratic.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.