Sunday 7 February 2010

Bare cave

As part of the 11 week course package we are allocated a certain number of credits towards purchasing additional activities. Activities range from cat-skiing (getting dropped off by a snowmobile in an area of untouched terrain and not felines on miniature skis) to an NHL hockey match. A prudent me attends the selection session and my choice of activities include first aid training and avalanche safety. Decisions I begin to regret when housemates return elated from a thrilling day of dog sledding or snowmobiling.

Despite a relatively dull classroom-based theory element to the avalanche safety course, the field trip element makes for an enjoyable day...which is more than can be said for the 8 hour first aid course. Performing CPR on a training dummy, tying a variety of slings and frisking strangers for pretend cuts and bumps doesn't really compare to the thrill of riding fresh tracks, accessed by a ride on a snowmobile, and my new first aid certificate offers little redress (but can I call myself Dr Ian now?)

150km from Fernie is another resort, Kimberley, which is about half the size of Fernie and offers wider trails, ideal for honing carving skills. Off one of the trails and through a few trees we find a cave; allegedly the habitat of bears. Braver members of my group venture into the cave to challenge the myth, whilst I hang back to "keep guard". I learn just how quickly I can strap into my bindings after someone comes running out of the cave claiming a bear sighting (we establish that the 'bear's eyes' that had been spotted were just reflections on some ice and the cave contains nothing more than a few scary looking stalactites).

With just over a week to go before my level 1 examinations focus will now need to turn to the weakest aspect of my riding...steeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.