Saturday 12 December 2009

Braving the cold

The 'Tenmile range' refers to the ten mountain peaks which start in Frisco, the Northern most peak of the range, and end in Breckenridge. The peaks are imaginatively named 'Peak 1' through to 'Peak 10' and the Breckenridge ski resort comprises Peaks 7 - 10.

Despite temperatures of -22 Celsius there continues to be a lack of snow and thus only 20% of the Breckenridge trails are open to the public, none of which are black runs and which frustratingly means I am not getting an opportunity to test my ability on the more challenging terrain.

In addition to the freezing temperatures, wind speeds are reaching up to 60mph and although my Walmart balaclava keeps me moderately warm, it's so tight around my head that it makes me feel dizzy and a bit faint, like a disorientated ninja.

Nevertheless I brave the extreme conditions, joining an advanced class and quickly realising I'm out my depth. After failing several jibs (tricks), continually playing catch-up to the rest of the class and suffering an endlessly runny nose, I'm in a bad mood. Curry from the Himalayan restaurant in Frisco may be the only remedy.

3 comments:

  1. A disorientated ninja.....brilliant! Hope you are still enjoying it all despite the challenging conditions....perhaps a bowl of pistachios might do you some good?!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering that three short weeks ago you were unable to dismount a ski lift without falling on your arse, you should be pretty proud to even be in a position to be playing catch-up to the advanced class! Sounds like you're doing well. Ollie is very much looking forward to seeing you next week and showing you his wobbly tooth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today the temperature in Kent was -3 C and that was cold enough to hurt! I can't imagine what -22 C must feel like. You'll probably be so warm that you'll be wandering round in T-shirts when you get back. See you soon.

    Mum x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.