Saturday 9 January 2010

The mitten state

Michigan, 'the mitten state' (named not because of its temperature but its shape), hosts roughly two dozen ski resorts the largest of which has an elevation of circa 650ft. Spoilt by the 10,000ft elevation of Colorado, I set low expectations for riding in Michigan, however the blue skies and comfortable (yet freezing) temperatures make for enjoyable cruising.

After losing a third of our party to a knee injury after a tumble on a black run the first day of riding, Laura and I set off on our north Michigan ski tour to Caberfae, Boyne Highlands, Boyne Mountain and Nub's nob with Laura graciously assuming sole responsibility for the long, icy drives whilst I attempt to provide entertainment in the form of games of categories and "what are your top five...[blank]".

Apart from Caberfae, all three resorts have a similar quantity of trails offering a variety of terrain from steeps, to moguls, to trees, to rollers and during our three day tour we manage to ride them all. With Laura having skied since her early teens I am pushed to keep up, often lagging behind due to a tumble or unplanned loss of momentum and running out of excuses when I meet her at the bottom of each trail:
"The cold made my feet cramp up and I slowed to stretch them out";
"I stopped to take some photos";
"I was attempting some cool new freestyle moves";
"Some skiers got in my way and I had to slow down";
"I needed to readjust my bindings";
"Erm...I fell over"

Unlike Colorado, the Michigan resorts have many more flat cat-tracks requiring significant amounts of gruelling skating. But with the excessive amounts of greasy hamburgers, pulled pork sandwiches, pizza, fries and cake that I'm becoming accustomed to in the US, my arteries are grateful. With a week to go before flying to Canada for the 13 week course, my stint in Michigan has helped me to maintain my 'snow legs', despite the cholesterol saturated blood flowing through them a little slower.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.