Thursday 26 November 2009

Chairlift incompetence

I lack the ability to dismount chairlifts. Given that only one foot is strapped to your board, you must control your dismount on just your leading leg, leaving your trailing leg unattached. Add to this a steep descent at the exit and the stress of promptly clearing the path for passengers behind me and I fall almost everytime, rolling ungracefully out of the path of the steady stream of ensuing skiers/riders.

I’ve now had three lessons and am confidently linking turns (once I escape the chairlift). The next step is to learn riding switch (leading with my right leg, rather than my left) which, I’m told, will help me to perform ‘sick tricks’. However, the thanksgiving holiday is congesting the slopes which is making riding difficult and a bit dangerous so the nauseating manoeuvres will probably have to wait until after this weekend.

I take the opportunity away from the mountain to explore the town of Breckenridge. Main street, Breckenridge comprises quaint clothing boutiques, independent cafes/restaurants and ski/snowboard rental outlets. The Breckenridge shopkeepers and locals are extremely affable and there is a relaxed pace of life. It feels like it’d be a great place to live and the lodges are only around $2.5m (c £1.5m). Time to start saving.

Anyway, back to my thanksgiving beef fajita...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.